dented car

Are You Entitled To Free Legal Advice For Motoring Offences?

If you are in a position where you require court representation, whether that is by a solicitor or other legal professional, costs can be involved. To meet these costs, there are instances where you can apply for legal aid. 

What is Legal Aid?

Legal aid is assistance that’s available to those who cannot afford to pay for legal advice or legal representation in court, in the form of a solicitor or barrister. There are different types of legal aid worth knowing about, should you ever find yourself or a loved one ever find themselves in a position where legal representation at court is required.

How to get Legal Aid

To receive legal aid, you must be able to confirm that your case is eligible, that there is a serious problem and that you cannot afford to pay the cost on your own. A legal advisor should apply for legal aid on your behalf.

Does Legal Aid Cover Driving Offences?

Unfortunately, legal aid is rarely granted for most motoring offences. It is normally only made available in cases where a person is at serious risk of being sent to prison. These cases include dangerous driving, drink driving or disqualified driving, legal aid will be means tested by the court.  As legal aid is generally unavailable, you will be expected to pay your fees privately or secure alternative funding. If you have a home or motor insurance policy, your insurer may agree to pay your legal expenses under the terms of your policy. If you are a member of a trade union, your membership may entitle you to obtain assistance with paying your legal fees.

At McPartland & Sons, our experienced solicitors treat every client on an individual basis to assess their claim and assist with any questions. If you or someone you care about has been involved in a road traffic accident and you think you may have a claim, contact us today and talk to a member of the team to find out how we can help you.

Related Blogs:

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *