What are my rights as a part-time worker

What are my rights as a part-time worker

All employees have basic employment rights regardless of whether they work full time or part time. Part-time workers must be treated equally when working for the same employer and doing similar work under the same type of employment contract as full-time employees.

Part-time employees have legal rights from day one of employment. There is no minimum length of service for equal treatment to apply.

Pay for part-time workers

Compared with full-time workers, part-time workers should receive equal:

  • Rates of pay – part-time workers must receive the same rate of pay as full-time workers who do the same job.
  • Overtime pay – but only once they have worked more than the normal part-time hours of their contract.
  • Enhanced rates of pay – for working outside of their normal contractual hours

Equal treatment of part-time workers

Compared with full-time workers, part-time workers should receive equal:

  • access to any company pension scheme
  • access to training and career development
  • rights to career breaks
  • rights to receive enhanced sick, maternity, paternity, and adoption leave and pay
  • parental leave and other time off rights
  • consideration for promotion, transfer, or redundancy

Pro-rata contractual benefits

Part-time workers have the right to receive contractual benefits pro rata

This applies to benefits such as:

  • paid annual leave above the statutory minimum
  • company cars
  • staff discounts
  • health insurance
  • subsidised mortgages
  • profit-sharing and share-option schemes

Complaints of less favourable treatment


If an employer has treated a part-time employee less favourably than a full-time worker then they have the right to receive a written statement of reasons for the treatment. This should be put in a written request and the employer must return the written statement within 21 days.

Part-time workers who still believe you are treating them less favourably, and don’t believe you have objectively justified this, can make a complaint to an industrial tribunal. A tribunal can make you pay compensation if they find it in the part-time worker’s favour.

For more advice on employment law, contact our team of expert solicitors who can provide you with more guidance.

Related Blogs:

What Are My Employee Rights?

Instances Of Discrimination At Work

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *